Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lauryn Hill Being Sued for Verbally Abusing Her Band

lauryn hill, lawsuit, black celebrities

By JasmineHughes

The “Sweetest Thing” singer is anything but, according to her former band members. Renowned artist, Lauryn Hill is being accused of repeatedly verbally abusing members of her band behind the scenes of her European tour in 2007. An ex-member is now filing a lawsuit against Hill. Professional guitar player Jay Gore has filed new legal documents in his war with Hill in which he claims she stiffed him out of thousands of dollars after playing Hill’s tour.

In the documents, Gore says Hill was a horror backstage, claiming she “exhibited the type of behavior for which she had gained public notoriety which contributed to a hostile work environment.” Gore says, “After shows, Hill would demand that the musicians and road support personnel attend meetings where she would engage in a person-by-person critique and berating.” He continues, “At one point, Hill made a statement in front of the tour personnel to the effect that ‘I can’t believe I am paying you fools, you should be paying me.’”

Gore is now asking for more than $20k for his troubles. His lawyer, Nicholas Andrea, says, “We believe there are other musicians who have been mistreated by Ms. Hill in a similar manner who are reluctant to stand up for their rights and this lawsuit gives them a voice as well.”

Calls to Hill’s rep have not been returned.

About jasminesnroses

Hello World. I'm a recent graduate of Rutgers University, trying to make my mark. I have many interests, curiosities and ideas. All of which can be found here. So stick around =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is going to have to come up with more than just her saying "I can;t believe I pay you fools!" to win a lawsuit. What was her actions based upon? The money issue is clear I guess, if it is true. Nonetheless, I am shocked at L Hill....