Thursday, June 2, 2011

Plato's Closet Possibly Racist

I am not the one to jump to conclusions about racism being emitted in certain situations, but today might be one of those day that I was discriminated against. I went into Plato's Closet a store that buys used clothes and resales them. They pride themselves on being the "go-to" place for teens to purchase name-brand clothing for a cheap price. I've done business with Plato's closet before as I sold clothes to them from my teenage years. Today I was selling three pairs to True Religion Jeans and one pair of True Religion Shorts at a easy retail value of $1,500. After evaluating my clothes I was offered a price of $35 by the staff. I was offended and appalled. I asked the young girl why was the price so low? She stated, " Your jeans are fake." Assuming that she knew what she was talking about I asked was she sure? She was more than confident as she flipped my jeans over and pointed at the labels while explaining to me that the labels were not consistent with the real brand and the jeans were indeed fake. I expressed to her that I purchased these jeans from Saks Fifth Avenue. She disregarded that and insisted that they were replicas and noted that Macy's often sold fake True Religions. Still in disbelief I called Saks Fifth Avenue and True Religion, and they both stated the inferiority of Plato's Closet and that the jeans I purchased were for sure authentic. I realized that it was because I was black that my jeans were not authentic. That the employees at the store refused to believe that I was able to obtain these items legally. Since I was an inner-city black female there was no way for me to have four items from True Religion. Plato's Closet is possibly racist.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

what platos closet was this? im really upset about this

Anonymous said...

Plato's Closet took my Apple Bottom jeans, and I saw a few other pairs there. They mostly take clothing from Express, Forever 21, Abercrombie, Hollister. When I called they said they will only accept "in style, in season clothing items". But, they did take my True Religion jeans, and offered me $10. The prices they offer are insulting. I'd try to sell your jeans on ebay instead.

Anonymous said...

stunning blog page concepts 2012
http://www.cdf.org.ar/?q=node/268729/
http://www.apparelcycle.com/index.php?do=/blog/234280/information-on-efficient-types-of-mutuelle-santé/
http://getas.empitalia.com/node/59786

Anonymous said...

astounding ning blogs versions
http://dev2.sevenyards.com/link/70653
http://corvairpedia.org/index.php?title=User:MelissaAc
http://inlocaltv.com/blog/view/52992/real-world-routines-for-parapharmacie
http://www.kasok.com/blogs/user/DiegoCorte
http://pendientedemigracion.ucm.es/BUCM/wiki/index.php?title=Usuario:LashondaA

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if anyone else had any issues like this and here you are. There is a new platos closet in the Hagerstown Md area and I witnessed on 3 occasions a black person (1 being my daughter)bringing items(nearly new some w/tags)in to sell and their name brand items are deemed worthless, can't use thwm. I've heard condescending comments like " I can tell you right now noone is going to buy these shirts" and from what I saw the man's shirts were very nice quality and style. My daughter told me the owner admonished his employee to check the $50.00 dollar bills that she used to make her purchase because they could be fake. EXCUSE ME, we have money and nice things and WE"RE BLACK, I promise I will never allow my daughters to step foot in platos closet again.

Unknown said...

That doesn't make sense, if you're saying she was trained to not accept fakes, why would she offer her any money at all. & if opinion makes the world worse, this world is a horrible place.

Unknown said...

That doesn't make sense, if you're saying she was trained to not accept fakes, why would she offer her any money at all. & if opinion makes the world worse, this world is a horrible place.

Anonymous said...

My local PC accepts all brands and MANY items that are generally preferred by women of darker skin, and no- I don't just mean "black women". Latinas too. I am Italian myself- and I don't really consider myself white- though I must say, I have the "rear anatomy" of a typical white chick. (aka I have little to no @$$). I don't know if it's that I prefer to think of it like- certain brands make it a tad easier when shopping for jeans for women that have a more "curvaceous" figure- which in my opinion- someone has to! I too struggle to find jeans that fit my body type- and let me tell you, there aren't many. 8/10 brands make jeans to fit the majority- and that's okay. Once in a while, I'll find a pair online that I can "alter" to fit me. But.. 90% of my clothes must be altered unless I don't mind going around looking like I just laid a fresh one in my jeans. lol It REALLY infuriates me to hear stories of people receiving different treatment because of their skin color. I'm glad to say I have never witnessed this- but I do live in an area where you don't often see things like that. I am treated differently no matter where I go, or what I do- because it's pretty hard to hide your tattoos when they're everywhere. So unless I wear ALL MY nicest clothes- I'll be treated like I'm "trouble", and looked at with skepticism. I hear a lot of this "white privilege", and I KNOW it exists- I've met many that live it.. but I am not one. Never have been- and TBH- never wish to be. Any way about it- racism and prejudice is WRONG- and it shows the person's closed mind and blissfully ignorant- OPEN mouth. Skin color? Melanin? Is that what it all boils down to? The amount of melanin someone's skin contains? Sounds trivial to me. Sorry if this is off topic- but.. sometimes.. you just gotta let the thoughts roll. To the woman who started this thread.. I am sorry you had to experience this. It is truly disheartening to hear how ignorant people really can be.. and ultimately, how doomed we'll likely all be for it. xo

Anonymous said...

bape
golden goose
fear of god hoodie
nba star shoes
bapesta
bape outlet
curry 8
off white
kyrie irving shoes
bape outlet