Thursday, February 24, 2011

MADAM PREZIDENT: BEYONCE’S BLACKFACE

_MG_2992beyonce-l'officiel-paris.jpg

Since Beyonce singing existence she has dominated the music industry. She isn’t just a great singer, she and her management has made her an extraordinary brand from Beyonce Knowles talent. Beyonce is rarely in the news for anything controversial. The media only indulge in her success, discussing her beauty, fashion endeavors, and relationship.

When I saw the article I had mixed emotions about it. For some reason white folk, head editors, and photographers think “black faces are the shit” for black history month! However it isn’t. I mean if you want to do the black face, why don’t you just do a shoot with black models picking cotton, or do a shoot with chains or a noose around black models neck.

I don’t care how anyone decides to express their artistic side, whatever you consider art is art. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; right? So, the idea of wanting to darken Beyonce’s skin doesn’t bother me. Now, the fact that Beyonce agreed to it does bother me.

The shoot wasn’t about money because B made a reportedly 89 million dollars in 2010 alone, she is one of the highest paid singers in America right now, however my black sister who made a reportedly 89 million dollars is obviously unfamiliar with Minstrel Shows. I believe if Mrs. Knowles was educated about black faces, she would not have allowed a group of people to put one on her!

She should have asked questions, she is the kind of celebrity that will get her questions answered. Her opinion matters. I wish Beyonce would have taken a stand this time, and said something, I wish she would have told these people whom are clueless of what black is, what black is. Black is being a multi-millionaire before 30, being waited on hand and foot, and rearranging a whole shoot with your sensitivity to those who could only act, sing, and dance with a painted face. When they declared the idea of the black face, I wish she would have simply said, “Darkening my skin almost unrecognizable is unnecessary, I AM THE BLACK FACE.” I am new form of black history!

 

Meaningful Blessings,

Madam Prezident

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Black Face the depiction of black people as a caricature/cartoon. In this photoshoot, Beyonce was depicting Fela Kuti, a highly esteemed Nigerian artist. I therefore don't see these pictures as blackface. She's clearly paying homage to someone she greatly respects and admires.